Beetroot Chocolate Muffins (Red Velvet Muffins)
Hate beetroot but want to add more veg to your day? Try these intensely chocolate, moist muffins for breakfast or as a snack.
- Boil beets (remove skin) until tender and puree in blender.
- Preheat oven to 375F/ (190C) and line 12 muffins with liners.
- Prepare flax eggs in a large mixing bowl by mixing flaxseed meal and water and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Add beet puree, melted oil, maple syrup or agave, brown sugar, baking soda, salt and whisk for 45 seconds.
- Stir in the almond milk and whisk once more.
- Add cocoa powder and flour and stir with a spoon or spatula until just combined, being careful not to over-mix. If the batter appears too thick, add a touch more oat milk. Batter should be quite thick and scoopable.
- Lastly, stir in chocolate chips. Then divide batter evenly between muffin tins and sprinkle with a few more chocolate chips (optional but recommended).
- Bake for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool for a few minutes in the pan then remove and cool on a cooling rack.
Prepped in 15 minutes
Ready in 45 minutes
Serves 12 muffins
- Flax eggs (to make your flax eggs: 1 tbsp flaxseed: 2.5 tbsp water)
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 5 tbsp water
- 1 cup beet puree
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1.5 tsp baking soda
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup oat milk
- 1½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ⅓ cups spelt flour
- ⅓ cup dairy-free semisweet vegan chocolate chips (more for topping if you choose)