Enjoy these savory, spinach pancakes as a meal with tomato bruschetta and balsamic glaze.
- Wilt the spinach leaves in a small quantity of warm water. When cool, squeeze the leaves to remove as much water as possible. Roughly chop the leaves and set aside.
- Make your flax eggs by combining 2.5 tbsp water with 1 tbsp ground flax seed, mix and set aside for 5-8 minutes.
- While waiting for your flax eggs to settle, with an electric mixer, whisk your aquafaba to soft peaks.
- Put the flour, baking powder, flax eggs (after they have sat), melted coconut oil, salt, cumin and oat milk in a large mixing bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Gently fold the whisked aquafaba into the batter. Do not overmix.
- Fold your spinach and chopped green onions into the batter.
- Drizzle avocado oil into a cast iron pan and place on medium-high heat. For each pancake, Using a measuring glass, pour ⅛ c of batter into the pan and press down on the pancake gently. Pancakes should be about 6-8 cm in diameter and ½ cm thick. Cook for about two minutes on each side or until you get a golden color. Transfer to paper towels to drain and keep them warm in the oven on a low temperature.
Topping: Tomato Bruschetta
- Chop up tomatoes , red onion and basil in very small pieces. Put in a bowl. Add olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Mix and refrigerate until use. Serve with balsamic glaze.
Prepped in 35 minutes
Ready in 45 minutes
Serves 4 to 6 people
- Large bag of spinach leaves washed (10-12 cups)
- 1 ½ cup oat flour
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 2 Flax eggs (ratio for flax eggs is 1 egg = 1 tbsp flaxseed with 2.5 tbsp water)
- ½ c coconut oil, melted
- ½ tsp of salt
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 ⅓ cup oat milk
- 12 green onions
- 6 tbsp chickpea aquafaba (water from the can of chick peas)
- Avocado oil for cooking
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1 red onion
- Several basil leaves
- Olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste